Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Book I Need


Keri Smith of The Guerilla Art Kit & Wreck This Journal has a new book coming out & I could not be more excited about it.

You see... I'm out of practice. The practice of creativity, that is. And I'm itching to get back into it. To get behind a real camera (no offense camera phone, but i'm feeling limited by you). To start sketching. To dig out some paints & brushes. To put some stories to paper. To stitch something together. I think you get the idea...

I'd like to dive right in but I'm feeling creaky & unsure of myself. So, I'm taking baby steps. Been sketching the buildings I see from my office window & taking random polaroids, things like that. I've got plans for some creative exercises that I hope will get me back into the groove. And this book sounds like it will fit in perfectly.
Artists and scientists analyze the world around them in surprisingly similar ways, by observing, collecting, documenting, analyzing, and comparing. In this captivating guided journal, readers are encouraged to explore their world as both artists and scientists.

The mission Smith proposes? “To document and observe the world around you. As if you’ve never seen it before. Take notes. Collect things you find on your travels. Document findings. Notice patterns. Copy. Trace. Focus on one thing at a time. Record what you are drawn to.”

The Website: How to Be an Explorer of the World

Available for pre-order on Amazon.com

via Keri Smith

1 comment:

evencleveland said...

love this ... and you are right - being creative is hard work. it's like developing muscles - takes time and lots of use and a little bit of pain, sometimes ...