Monday, September 12, 2011

Let There Be Light

Slow & steady wins the race, right? At least that's what I'm telling myself when I look around my house & see many started projects but not much finished. Lately, I have been trying to work on something for a couple of hours everyday... just whatever I feel like working on at the time. I've been going through boxes or painting cabinets or removing wallpaper or whatever. And things are happening. Slowly. But steadily.

A week or so ago I read a tip on a blog about removing wallpaper from unfinished drywall. "Whoa," I thought, "I have that problem." And so I gave it a try last weekend in the foyer. It was still slow going but much faster & less damaging than the way I did my kitchen. I did a bit on Monday. And a bit on Tuesday. On Wednesday & Thursday, I was distracted by a sick dog. Then back to it on Friday. All finished! It took about 6 hours total and the wall needs minimal repairs... so yea! I had planned to start the drywall repairs on Saturday but blah blah, best intentions & all. Instead, I stared at my paint color deck (with this room as my color inspiration) & started looking online for light fixtures for the foyer.

It was after finding just one light fixture that I liked, on five websites, that I remembered this lamp:


I bought the lamp on clearance at Target about 5 years ago... I love the capiz shell shade. It went well with the global modern vibe of the living room in my last house. But when I moved, I just shoved it into the stuff room. I still loved the shade but was no longer loving it in lamp form. I have stared at it often trying to figure out how I could turn it into a pendant light, but the way the shade attached to the lamp made it look difficult. Or...

Or I could just try attaching it the ceiling around the current light fixture with some cup hooks. Off I went to Target to grab a $3.99 pack of silver cup hooks. When I got home, it was straight onto the stepladder & after screwing in a few cup hooks... viola!


And there you have it. I'm a little in love with it. Though it needs a different light bulb and a dimmer switch and some finished walls to pop off of and... oh whatever. Go, me!

No comments: